Is there anything better than dipping a chip into a delicious, rich, mouth watering 7 layer bean dip?
The answer is no. Not in the food world, anyway.
And you might be thinking right about now, well that’s great Meredith, but I’m supposed to be eating healthy. I can’t eat your bean dip.
This healthy 7 layer bean dip is skinny. Well it’s actually quite thick. But it’s ingredients are skinny and will keep you on track with your healthy eating lifestyle.
Instead of fattening sour cream, I used nonfat greek yogurt (with 17g of protein per serving!) Instead of using heaps of cheese, I sprinkled 1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar over the top. It adds just the right amount of cheesy flavor, but the other ingredients, like freshly mashed avocados and juicy diced tomatoes, will send your taste buds into overdrive. So much so that they won’t be missing the few extra heapings of cheese that would thicken your waist line in no time.
It’s the perfect recipe for a Sunday afternoon watching a football game, or for any afternoon that you’re craving some yummy Mexican food that won’t leave you with a stomach ache if ya know what I mean. My favorite part about this recipe is mixing the taco seasoning with the greek yogurt to make a spread that undeniably makes this 7 layer bean dip the health(ier) food gold mine that it is. IT’S DELICIOUS and nutritious. What more could you ask for?
Let’s get into the recipe, I can see you drooling through the screen.
- 2 avocados
- salt + pepper
- lemon juice
- 2 cups nonfat greek yogurt
- 1/2 packet taco seasoning
- 1 can refried beans
- 2 fresh roma tomatos
- 1 small can diced olives
- 1/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- Mash the avocados in a small bowl until they are smooth and stirable. Add salt + pepper to taste, and a squirt of lemon juice, then mix well and set aside.
- Add greek yogurt and taco seasoning in a separate bowl and mix until well combined.
- Dice the tomatoes and set aside.
- Open your can of refried beans (or you can use whole pinto beans or black beans) and layer on the bottom of an 8X8 pan.
- Now layer your avocado mixture on top of the beans
- Next layer your greek yogurt mixture on top of the avocado
- Sprinkle the tomatoes and cheese on top, evenly
- To finish it off, sprinkle your 1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese.
- Chill your bean dip in the refrigerator (covered) if you're not indulging face first into this goodness immediately
This bean dip has 180 calories with 8.5g fat, 19g carbs, and 10g protein per serving. The recipe serves 8.
I hope you enjoy this skinny 7 layer bean dip as much as my husband and I did! (I just didn’t tell him it was “skinny”, shhhh).
Let me know in the comments below how you liked it!
Follow me on Instagram & Facebook